Militär teknik och Ukrainakriget

Livet handlar inte bara om spårvagnar och lokaltrafik. Här kan det diskuteras om andra ting. (endast för registrerade användare)

Moderatorer: Jourmaster, Infomaster

Kategoriregler
Livet handlar inte bara om spårvagnar och lokaltrafik. Här kan det diskuteras om andra ting. (endast för registrerade användare)
Allmänna forumregler
Enceladus

Re: Militär teknik och Ukrainakriget

Inlägg av Enceladus »

How arming Ukraine is stretching the US defence industry
Financial Times skrev:Industry executives say they need reassurance they will not be stung by ramping up production for Ukraine and other western nations newly focused on defence spending, only for government orders to collapse when the conflict ends.

In the aftermath of the fight against ISIS, for example, demand from the Pentagon declined significantly. The DoD “invested all this money to ramp up Hellfire production to 10,000 a year and then the US said ‘we don’t want those anymore’”, says Pettyjohn. A scramble to find foreign buyers ensued, leaving the primes wary of a repeat scenario.

[...]

The government must put its money where its mouth is, says an industry source. Defence company executives would “be driven out of here by our shareholders” if they made decisions only based on Pentagon meetings and what they read in the news. “The way that the government needs to communicate [increased demand] is via contracts,” they say.

[...]

“The US defence industry is seizing the moment of the Ukraine crisis to push for a lot of things they’ve wanted for years,” says William Hartung, a researcher at the Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft, a think-tank. “Expanded production, quicker approval of foreign sales, multiyear procurement, which locks in contracts in a less competitive way, reducing reporting to do with price and the availability of goods, which could lead to price gouging.”

[...]

Poland wanted such an arrangement for the 500 Himars it intended to purchase in the summer, but it ended up reducing its order and buying 300 alternatives from South Korea because of concerns it would not get the Himars quickly enough.
En intressant artikel om avsaknaden av långsiktighet i den amerikanska försvarsindustrin.

Russia's budget deficit explodes as latest sanctions bite
Axios skrev:Oil and gas revenues dropped 46% from January 2021 levels.

Military spending drove government outlays up 59%, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Janis Kluge, an expert on Russian state finances with German Institute for International and Security Affairs, wrote on Twitter that the deficit is "highly unusual and points to a larger deficit for the full year."
Utgifterna ökar och intäkterna minskar i Ryssland. Kofman och Estlands spionchef verkar ha rätt i att tiden är på Ukrainas sida.

Russian rouble slides to one-month low vs dollar
Reuters skrev:The rouble weakened on Wednesday, sliding to a one-month low against the dollar ahead of two OFZ treasury bond auctions, with the government’s foreign currency sales holding the Russian currency back from a more dramatic fall.

[...]

Russia is now selling 8.9 billion roubles ($124.48 million) worth of foreign currency per day, compensating for lower oil and gas revenues, down 46.4% year-on-year in January.

[...]

The Bank of Russia raised a record $74 billion at a deposit auction on Tuesday from a banking sector flooded with excess liquidity, which analysts say could further limit room to ease monetary policy.
Hur länge kan Putins krigföring och utökade vapenproduktion finansieras innan de ekonomiska konsekvenserna blir för stora? Klockan tickar varje dag!
Enceladus

Inlägg av Enceladus »

SpaceX didn’t intend that Starlink be ‘weaponized’ by Ukraine: Shotwell
Breaking Defense skrev:Konstantin Vorontosov, the head of Russia’s delegation to the UN Open Ended Working Group on Reducing Space threats that recently concluded in Geneva, told the group on Jan. 31 that Starlink satellites are being used “not just for communications, but also for guiding drones and also amending the trajectory of artillery shells.”

It also is possible that the communication network has played a role in Ukrainian efforts to fight back against Russian efforts at cyber intrusion, as it is at least technically possible that Russian hacking attempts into Ukrainian communications are being hacked back along the same route by Ukrainian malware.

Starlink has proven a challenge for Russian jamming and hacking attempts — due in part simply to the enormous numbers of satellites making up the constellation. As of mid-January, SpaceX has some 3,120 operational satellites on orbit.
Det andra Nagorno-Karabach-kriget anses ibland vara det första drönarkriget. Är detta krig det första rymdkriget?

SpaceX curbed Ukraine's use of Starlink internet for drones -company president
Reuters skrev:Ukraine has made effective use of unmanned aircraft for spotting enemy positions, targeting long-range fires and dropping bombs.

"There are things that we can do to limit their ability to do that," she said, referring to Starlink's use with drones. "There are things that we can do, and have done."

[...]

Starlink had suffered services outages in Ukraine late last year, for reasons SpaceX did not explain.

Asked if those outages were related to SpaceX’s efforts to curb offensive use of Starlink, Shotwell said: “I don’t want to answer it because I’m not sure I know the answer.”
Hur pålitligt är Musks privata företag SpaceX, speciellt med tanke på den desinformation som Musk sprider?
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Inlägg av dr Cassandra Nojdh »

Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 9:12 Hur pålitligt är Musks privata företag SpaceX, speciellt med tanke på den desinformation som Musk sprider?
Ja, ständigt denne Musk. Ibland är han hjälte, som räddar det amerikanska rymdprogrammet
viewtopic.php?p=410757#p410757
Enceladus skrev: fredag 16 december 2022 13:22 Lyckligtvis har USA återfått förmågan att skicka människor ut i rymden - tack vare Musk.
och den amerikanska bilindustrin:
viewtopic.php?p=411463#p411463
Enceladus skrev: lördag 28 januari 2023 21:16 Faktum är att de traditionella amerikanska biltillverkarna har totalt misslyckats med omställningen till elbilar. Nu är USA helt beroende av Musk om inte landet ska lämna walkover
ibland, buse, tydligen?!
Så kommer turen till Soccomoro alias Jazzbacillen alias dr Cassandra Nöjdh alias Durkdrivna Doris etc. (ljudkonst av Lars-Gunnar Bodin): "Låt oss tala klarspråk och rinna ut i sanden".
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 0:26 Hur länge kan Putins krigföring och utökade vapenproduktion finansieras innan de ekonomiska konsekvenserna blir för stora? Klockan tickar varje dag!
Ja, klockan tickar (fast egentligen gör ju moderna klockor inte det längre), som Gustav Gressel säger:
Gustav Gressel skrev:Indeed, in theory, Western states could out-build and out-supply Russia in a war of attrition if they ramped up their production of defence goods and synchronised their supplies to Ukraine. Individual donations from existing reserve stocks will not supply the quantity of vehicles required. Only a common effort to procure new systems in numbers to replace vehicles donated to Ukraine will allow Europe to scramble the necessary equipment. But no such decision has been made yet, and the clock is ticking. The United States and eastern and northern European states have pledged to increase production of ammunition, which they did as long ago as last summer, with the impacts of those decisions set to be felt this year. Other promises to do the same have remained merely expressions of intent. Ultimately, if the West intends to sustain Ukraine during a long war, it also needs to produce a whole range of systems and vehicles at a faster pace to replace the donations to Kyiv. For instance, Leopard 2 tanks are built at a pace of two tanks a month, with a total delivery time of up to three years. This is around an eighth of the rate of Russia’s tank production.
Så kommer turen till Soccomoro alias Jazzbacillen alias dr Cassandra Nöjdh alias Durkdrivna Doris etc. (ljudkonst av Lars-Gunnar Bodin): "Låt oss tala klarspråk och rinna ut i sanden".
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 0:26 ]How arming Ukraine is stretching the US defence industry[
Financial Times skrev:Industry executives say they need reassurance they will not be stung by ramping up production for Ukraine and other western nations newly focused on defence spending, only for government orders to collapse when the conflict ends.

In the aftermath of the fight against ISIS, for example, demand from the Pentagon declined significantly. The DoD “invested all this money to ramp up Hellfire production to 10,000 a year and then the US said ‘we don’t want those anymore’”, says Pettyjohn. A scramble to find foreign buyers ensued, leaving the primes wary of a repeat scenario.

[...]

The government must put its money where its mouth is, says an industry source. Defence company executives would “be driven out of here by our shareholders” if they made decisions only based on Pentagon meetings and what they read in the news. “The way that the government needs to communicate [increased demand] is via contracts,” they say.

[...]

“The US defence industry is seizing the moment of the Ukraine crisis to push for a lot of things they’ve wanted for years,” says William Hartung, a researcher at the Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft, a think-tank. “Expanded production, quicker approval of foreign sales, multiyear procurement, which locks in contracts in a less competitive way, reducing reporting to do with price and the availability of goods, which could lead to price gouging.”

[...]

Poland wanted such an arrangement for the 500 Himars it intended to purchase in the summer, but it ended up reducing its order and buying 300 alternatives from South Korea because of concerns it would not get the Himars quickly enough.
En intressant artikel om avsaknaden av långsiktighet i den amerikanska försvarsindustrin.
Ja, verkligen. Det är som jag säger - USA och Nato har för små arsenaler och för liten tillverkningskapacitet. Ända sedan generalen och presidenten Eisenhower skapade begreppet "det militärindustriella komplexet" som hur ju detta använts som slagträ av div. vänsterextremister som skyllde allt ont i världen på USA (och samtidigt flörtade med div. kommunistdiktaturer). Det intressant är att dessa idéer numera trängt in bland högerextremister också, så att både höger- och vänsterextremister hamnat i knäet på Putin. Jag har lämnat åtskilliga svenska exempel på detta redan i krigets inledning.
https://www.frihetsportalen.se/tag/mili ... komplexet/
https://www.globalpolitics.se/det-milit ... komplexet/
Ser ni någon skillnad? En av skribenterna, Mats Jangdal, kallar sig libertarian och har varit aktiv i något som kallas "Klassiska liberala partiet". Även The Cato Institute (se nedan) kallar sig libertarianskt, vilket i regel är ett täcknamn för högerextremism.

Den här märkliga sajten (som annars mest verkar handla om aktiespekulation) lägger ut texten på liknande sätt:
Det militärindustriella komplexet och dess inverkan på världsekonomin

Fast en sann profitör bryr sig ju inte om sådant (lägg märke till att dessa två texter är skrivna av samma person!)
Köp dessa aktieraketer 2023 – Försvarsindustrin USA

Journalisten Janerik Larsson (som anses har varit en slags borgerlig "arkitekt" i det fördolda) skrev en artikel om detta i SvD 2015:
USAs militär-industriella komplex
Lägg märke till att Larsson i artikeltexten refererar till de två högerextrema amerikanska organisationerna The American Conservative och The Cato Institute, även om han betecknar den förstnämnda som "knappast en särskilt betydelsefull röst i den amerikanska, konservativa debatten men intressant som fenomen". Det var då, det. Var denna organisation står i Ukraina-kriget har jag visat tidigare.
Senast redigerad av dr Cassandra Nojdh den torsdag 09 februari 2023 10:38, redigerad totalt 2 gång.
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Tilläggas kan att den amerikanske högerextremisten Doug Bandow givetvis skriver i båda ovanstående sajter. Den gubben skrev jag om redan i augusti förra året: viewtopic.php?p=408621#p408621
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Enceladus skrev: onsdag 08 februari 2023 20:54 UK to look into sending Ukraine fighter planes after Zelensky visit
The Telegraph skrev:Rishi Sunak has ordered the Ministry of Defence to “investigate” what fighter jets Britain may be able to send to Ukraine.

[...]

The “long-range capabilities” could refer to the Storm Shadow cruise missile, which is launched from warplanes and is designed to be hard to spot on radar, making it difficult to shoot down. It also carries a 450kg warhead, twice the size of the one on a US ATACMS ballistic missile.

Storm Shadow missiles have a range of approximately 200 miles and their intended targets include command posts, ammunition depots and bridges.
UK verkar ha stora planer för Ukrainas förmåga att försvara sig! Både stridsflygplan och långräckviddiga missiler är aktuella.
En som vanligt välskriven artikel från THe Warzone, om vad som skulle krävas för att tillföra Ukrainas flygvapen flygplantypen F-16 (Fighting Falcon/Viper), och vilken nytta den ev. skulle kunna göra:
This Is How Long It Would Really Take Ukraine’s Pilots To Convert To F-16s
med undertiteln
Just learning to fly an F-16 is a small aspect of what it would take for a Ukrainian fighter pilot to be combat ready in the type.
Enceladus

Inlägg av Enceladus »

Zelenskiy says some European leaders have promised aircraft
Reuters skrev:Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Thursday he had heard from several European Union leaders at a summit that they were ready to provide Kyiv with aircraft, hinting at what would be one of the biggest shifts yet in Western support for Ukraine.

[...]

Moments earlier, Zelenskiy's chief of staff, Andriy Yermak, posted on social media that the question of long-range weaponry and fighter jets for Ukraine had been resolved and details would follow. He later edited the post to say the issue "may be resolved."

[...]

Britain's Prime Minister Rishi Sunak promised to train Ukrainian pilots to fly advanced NATO fighter jets. He stopped short of offering to supply the planes, but said nothing was off the table.

[...]

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said it would be Ukrainians who suffered if Britain or other Western countries supplied fighter jets to Kyiv, and that the line between indirect and direct Western involvement in the war was disappearing.

[...]

Serhiy Haidai, Ukraine's governor of the mostly Russian-occupied eastern Luhansk province, described a major new Russian assault around Kreminna, along a northern stretch of the eastern front.

[...]

The Wagner mercenary group, which has spearheaded Russia's assault on the Donetsk town of Bakhmut, has stopped recruiting prisoners to fight in Ukraine, Wagner's founder Yevgeny Prigozhin said on Thursday.
Västerländska stridsflygplan tycks vara på tapeten. RUSI hävdar alltjämt att Gripen passar bättre än Typhoon. Enligt rykten ska Ukraina få just Typhoon.

Ukrainian military destroy Russia’s BMPT Terminator near Kreminna
Ukrinform skrev:Ukrainian defenders have destroyed Russia’s tank support fighting vehicle, BMPT Terminator, near the Luhansk region’s Kreminna.
Den ryska offensiven verkar inte gå så bra. Vidare har Ryssland förlorat 31 fordon vid Vuhledar. Dessutom börjar kanonfödan ta slut i de ryska fängelserna.
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 15:52 Zelenskiy says some European leaders have promised aircraft

Västerländska stridsflygplan tycks vara på tapeten. RUSI hävdar[alltjämt att Gripen passar bättre än Typhoon. Enligt rykten ska Ukraina få just Typhoon.
Jaaa, de neutrala indierna är igång och sprider rykten igen.

Det intressanta är att RUSI-artikeln
Giving RAF Typhoons to Ukraine Would Be a Very Expensive Symbolic Gesture
i stort sett helt dömer ut idén med Eurofighter Typhoon, bl.a. eftersom flygplantypen är illa lämpad att operera på låg höjd, samt att RAF egentligen inte har råd att bli av med några av sina plan. Detsamma gäller egentligen också JAS-39 Gripen: Det finns inte tillräckligt många plan att tillgå, oavsett hur mera lämpad denna plantyp kan sägas vara. i The Warzone-artikeln uppges en minimistyrka vara 2 skvadroner (skvadron är här ett anglosaxiskt uttryck, motsvarar ungefär en svensk flygvapendivision) om 12 plan vardera.

I övrig framför RUSI-artikeln ungefär samma taktiska/operationella synpunkter på luftstrid i Ukraina som den av mig tidigare refererade artikeln i The Warzone (se ovan). Ukraina får svårt att utmana ryssarnas långräckviddiga missilvapen. Vad det gäller är i första hand att fortsatt hindra det ryska flygvapnet från att etablera luftherravälde över Ukraina. Bara det är en formidabel uppgift.
Enceladus

Inlägg av Enceladus »

Rheinmetall in talks with Kyiv on supply of Panther tanks
Ukrinform skrev:Germany's arms manufacturer Rheinmetall is negotiating with Kyiv on the supply of its most modern tanks and does not rule out the possibility of creating a plant for their production in Ukraine.

[...]

Currently, there is only a demonstration model of the Panther tank. However, Papperger promises deliveries "in 15 to 18 months."

The tanks could be produced in Germany or in Hungary, he said.
Detta skulle vara Europas bästa stridsvagn! Men varför är Orbans Ungern ett alternativ? :roll:
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 17:12 Rheinmetall in talks with Kyiv on supply of Panther tanks
Ukrinform skrev:Germany's arms manufacturer Rheinmetall is negotiating with Kyiv on the supply of its most modern tanks and does not rule out the possibility of creating a plant for their production in Ukraine.

[...]

Currently, there is only a demonstration model of the Panther tank. However, Papperger promises deliveries "in 15 to 18 months."

The tanks could be produced in Germany or in Hungary, he said.
Detta skulle vara Europas bästa stridsvagn! Men varför är Orbans Ungern ett alternativ? :roll:
Tja, en orsak kan väl vara att Rheinmetall redan har en produktionsenhet i Orbanie../f'låt Ungern, ska det vara:
https://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/en/ ... /index.php

Där producerar de stridsfordonet Lynx KF41 (åt Ungern alltså, fattas bara annat).
https://www.rheinmetall-defence.com/en/ ... /index.php

Bild

Fast det som görs där lyder förstås under ungersk lag (på samma sätt som det som görs i Schweiz lyder under schweizisk lag, ex.vis). Och man vet ju aldrig..........
Enceladus

Inlägg av Enceladus »

Multipurpose Iranian drone warheads used in Ukraine
CAR skrev:Conflict Armament Research (CAR) has documented Iranian-manufactured uncrewed aerial vehicles (UAVs) used by the Russian Federation to attack critical energy infrastructure in Ukraine. CAR has previously confirmed the Iranian origin of these UAVs – which have caused severe power outages in major cities such as Kyiv – and shown the reliance of the systems used in Ukraine on components produced by companies based in Europe and the United States.

In January 2023, a CAR field investigation team documented the warhead of an Iranian Shahed-131 single-use UAV. This is the first time that analysis of these warheads has been released in the public domain. CAR’s analysis shows that this multipurpose warhead was designed to ensure maximum damage to targets such as critical infrastructure, while also having a significant impact on the ability to undertake quick repair efforts.

[...]

Previous CAR documentations show that Shahed UAVs can be fitted with other types of warhead to serve different purposes. In November 2022, CAR documented a Shahed-136 UAV warhead with reinforced, 7-mm-thick steel casing to allow it to penetrate structures before detonating. CAR assessed that that version of the warhead would be fitted with a short-delay fuzing assembly designed to initiate the main charge once inside the intended target.
CAR har undersökt den iranska mördarregimens terrorvapen.
dr Cassandra Nojdh skrev: fredag 27 januari 2023 21:01 Man kan ju lika gärna vända på frågan: kan den sydkoreanska vapenindustrin tillgodose Europas behov? Nej, naturligtvis inte. Sydkoreanerna förefaller däremot väldigt sugna på att få exportorder. Polen tecknade avtal, vid senaste halvårsskiftet 2022, om leverans av 180 K2 stridsvagnar. 10 st leverades till Polen i december 2022 och med den leveranstakten får de allt rampa upp produktionen om hela ordern ska vara färdiglevererad till år 2025, En intressant definition av begreppet "nu", förresten.
C Raja Mohan writes: In light of the Russia-Ukraine war, an opportunity to modernise India’s defence industry
The Indian Express skrev:The war in Ukraine, which began a year ago this month, is accelerating the breakdown of familiar geopolitical antinomies, such as Europe and Asia. Nothing illustrates the new landscape more powerfully than South Korea’s emergence as a major supplier of arms to Europe, which is at war with itself.

[...]

Two of Beijing’s most important neighbours and economic partners — South Korea and Japan — are not only bringing NATO into Asia, but also taking Asia to NATO’s frontlines with Russia.

[...]

Second, the idea that Europe and Asia are separate strategic theatres is becoming difficult to sustain. China’s alliance “without limits” unveiled last year with Russia has broken through that mental block. The US has, in turn, responded by promoting greater cooperation between NATO and America’s Asian allies. NATO’s Madrid summit last June, which took place in the aftermath of Russia’s Ukraine invasion, saw the participation for the first time of Asian leaders from Australia, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea.

[...]

For India, which is coping with the Chinese military challenge on its borders as well as in its waters as well as reducing its dependence on Russian weapons, the new and dynamic defence engagement between Europe and Asia opens up multiple opportunities. This includes the possibilities for modernising its rusty defence industrial base in partnership with friendly states.
Skulle inte indierna vara på Rysslands sida? :roll:

Korea looks to sell weapons to Romania following lucrative deal with Poland
The Korea Times skrev:Hanwha Aerospace plans to establish a cooperative relationship with Romania in the fields of ground weapons and ammunition production, seeking to increase exports of cutting-edge weapons systems, such as the K-9 self-propelled howitzer, which has already been successfully exported to nine countries.

"The K-9 is the world's best self-propelled howitzer and is in operation in nine countries around the world, including Korea. Through cooperation with many NATO countries such as Poland, Norway, and Estonia, we are growing as a trusted partner of NATO. Through the MOU, we hope to contribute to both the increase of Romania's national defense and economic development," Son Jae-il, CEO of Hanwha Aerospace, said.
Svaret på skribentens fråga är alltså ja!
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 18:11
dr Cassandra Nojdh skrev: fredag 27 januari 2023 21:01 Man kan ju lika gärna vända på frågan: kan den sydkoreanska vapenindustrin tillgodose Europas behov? Nej, naturligtvis inte. Sydkoreanerna förefaller däremot väldigt sugna på att få exportorder. Polen tecknade avtal, vid senaste halvårsskiftet 2022, om leverans av 180 K2 stridsvagnar. 10 st leverades till Polen i december 2022 och med den leveranstakten får de allt rampa upp produktionen om hela ordern ska vara färdiglevererad till år 2025, En intressant definition av begreppet "nu", förresten.
Korea looks to sell weapons to Romania following lucrative deal with Poland
The Korea Times skrev:Hanwha Aerospace plans to establish a cooperative relationship with Romania in the fields of ground weapons and ammunition production, seeking to increase exports of cutting-edge weapons systems, such as the K-9 self-propelled howitzer, which has already been successfully exported to nine countries.

"The K-9 is the world's best self-propelled howitzer and is in operation in nine countries around the world, including Korea. Through cooperation with many NATO countries such as Poland, Norway, and Estonia, we are growing as a trusted partner of NATO. Through the MOU, we hope to contribute to both the increase of Romania's national defense and economic development," Son Jae-il, CEO of Hanwha Aerospace, said.
Svaret på skribentens fråga är alltså ja!
Ja, om man frågar Sydkorea, alltså. Det är ju rätt självklart.
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 18:11 C Raja Mohan writes: In light of the Russia-Ukraine war, an opportunity to modernise India’s defence industry
The Indian Express skrev:The war in Ukraine, which began a year ago this month, is accelerating the breakdown of familiar geopolitical antinomies, such as Europe and Asia. Nothing illustrates the new landscape more powerfully than South Korea’s emergence as a major supplier of arms to Europe, which is at war with itself.

[...]

Two of Beijing’s most important neighbours and economic partners — South Korea and Japan — are not only bringing NATO into Asia, but also taking Asia to NATO’s frontlines with Russia.

[...]

Second, the idea that Europe and Asia are separate strategic theatres is becoming difficult to sustain. China’s alliance “without limits” unveiled last year with Russia has broken through that mental block. The US has, in turn, responded by promoting greater cooperation between NATO and America’s Asian allies. NATO’s Madrid summit last June, which took place in the aftermath of Russia’s Ukraine invasion, saw the participation for the first time of Asian leaders from Australia, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea.

[...]

For India, which is coping with the Chinese military challenge on its borders as well as in its waters as well as reducing its dependence on Russian weapons, the new and dynamic defence engagement between Europe and Asia opens up multiple opportunities. This includes the possibilities for modernising its rusty defence industrial base in partnership with friendly states.
Skulle inte indierna vara på Rysslands sida? :roll:
Nä, indierna är ju neutrala, har jag hört.
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 18:11 Multipurpose Iranian drone warheads used in Ukraine
CAR skrev:Conflict Armament Research (CAR) has documented Iranian-manufactured uncrewed aerial vehicles (UAVs) used by the Russian Federation to attack critical energy infrastructure in Ukraine. CAR has previously confirmed the Iranian origin of these UAVs – which have caused severe power outages in major cities such as Kyiv – and shown the reliance of the systems used in Ukraine on components produced by companies based in Europe and the United States.

In January 2023, a CAR field investigation team documented the warhead of an Iranian Shahed-131 single-use UAV. This is the first time that analysis of these warheads has been released in the public domain. CAR’s analysis shows that this multipurpose warhead was designed to ensure maximum damage to targets such as critical infrastructure, while also having a significant impact on the ability to undertake quick repair efforts.

[...]

Previous CAR documentations show that Shahed UAVs can be fitted with other types of warhead to serve different purposes. In November 2022, CAR documented a Shahed-136 UAV warhead with reinforced, 7-mm-thick steel casing to allow it to penetrate structures before detonating. CAR assessed that that version of the warhead would be fitted with a short-delay fuzing assembly designed to initiate the main charge once inside the intended target.
CAR har undersökt den iranska mördarregimens terrorvapen.
Hyfsad avancerad teknik, alltså. En inte helt okvalificerad gissning är att det där har de fått hjälp av ryssarna med.
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

I vart fall är det inte aktuellt med JAS-39 Gripen: Zelenskyj vill ha Gripen – Sverige säger nej

Här är läget helt annorlunda än med ex.vis Archer eller stridsvagnarna. En modernt stridsflygplan är den mest avancerade krigsmaskin man kan tänka sig, mycket mer komplicerad än en stridsvagn t.o.m. Nu skulle det alltså vara tre olika typer på det sk. bordet: F-16, Eurofighter Typhoon och JAS-39 Gripen. Det är självklart inte möjligt för Ukraina att operera tre olika Nato-klassade stridsflygplan under rådande förhållanden, vare sig utbildningsmässigt eller logistiskt.
Enceladus

Inlägg av Enceladus »

dr Cassandra Nojdh skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 18:49 Ja, om man frågar Sydkorea, alltså. Det är ju rätt självklart.
Could South Korea-Saudi Arabia military ties challenge US hegemony?
But it remains to be seen if their new relationship will be embraced by the United States, which maintains deep military ties with both countries and views them as essential partners as it seeks to build Cold War-type alliances to counter and confront Russia, China, and Iran.

In recent years, US relations with both countries have been fragile. Saudi Arabia has come under withering criticism from US liberals and conservatives for human rights violations, including the 2018 murder of US journalist Jamal Khashoggi and Saudi conduct in the war in Yemen.

[...]

One factor is South Korea's stunning rise as a global arms supplier. Last August, President Yoon announced plans to elevate his country into the top tier of military contractors. "By entering the world’s top four defence exporters after the United States, Russia and France, the (South Korean) defence industry will become a strategic industrialisation and a defence powerhouse," Yoon declared.

[...]

In 2021, Korea’s arms exports tripled to a record $7.3bn from $2.6 bn in 2016, according to the Korean government, and are expected to exceed $10bn in 2022, according to the Export-Import Bank of Korea. The leading Korean firms are Hanwha Defence, Hyundai Rotem, and Korea Aerospace Industries.
Ja, Sydkorea har höga ambitioner! För närvarande är Sydkorea på åttonde plats efter ovanstående trio samt Kina, Tyskland, Italien och UK.
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 19:04
dr Cassandra Nojdh skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 18:49 Ja, om man frågar Sydkorea, alltså. Det är ju rätt självklart.
Could South Korea-Saudi Arabia military ties challenge US hegemony?
But it remains to be seen if their new relationship will be embraced by the United States, which maintains deep military ties with both countries and views them as essential partners as it seeks to build Cold War-type alliances to counter and confront Russia, China, and Iran.

In recent years, US relations with both countries have been fragile. Saudi Arabia has come under withering criticism from US liberals and conservatives for human rights violations, including the 2018 murder of US journalist Jamal Khashoggi and Saudi conduct in the war in Yemen.

[...]

One factor is South Korea's stunning rise as a global arms supplier. Last August, President Yoon announced plans to elevate his country into the top tier of military contractors. "By entering the world’s top four defence exporters after the United States, Russia and France, the (South Korean) defence industry will become a strategic industrialisation and a defence powerhouse," Yoon declared.

[...]

In 2021, Korea’s arms exports tripled to a record $7.3bn from $2.6 bn in 2016, according to the Korean government, and are expected to exceed $10bn in 2022, according to the Export-Import Bank of Korea. The leading Korean firms are Hanwha Defence, Hyundai Rotem, and Korea Aerospace Industries.
Ja, Sydkorea har höga ambitioner! För närvarande är Sydkorea på åttonde plats efter ovanstående trio samt Kina, Tyskland, Italien och UK.
Ja, försöka duger. Det måste nästan sydkoreanerna göra, eftersom enbart den inhemska efterfrågan inte räcker. Här är de i samma predikament som den svenska försvarsindustrin, men man får väl säga att sydkoreanerna varit mer framgångsrika.
Enceladus

Inlägg av Enceladus »

Ukraine’s rocket campaign reliant on U.S. precision targeting, officials say
Washington Post skrev:The senior Ukrainian official described the targeting process, generally: Ukrainian military personnel identify targets they want to hit, and in which location, and that information is then sent up to senior commanders, who then relay the request to U.S. partners for more accurate coordinates. The Americans do not always provide the requested coordinates, the official said, in which case the Ukrainian troops do not fire.

Ukraine could carry out strikes without U.S. help but because Kyiv doesn’t want to waste valuable ammunition and miss, it usually chooses not to strike without U.S. confirmation, the official said, adding that there are no complaints about the process.

[...]

The senior Ukrainian official contended that the Ukrainian military would face the same limitations it does now with conventional HIMARS rounds if they received ATACMS, with Ukraine still dependent on U.S. targeting coordinates.
Amerikansk underrättelseverksamhet har förmodligen spelat en avgörande roll i detta krig. Ryssland skjuter i blindo och slösar därför mycket ammunition.

Here Is What Russia’s Military Aircraft And Missiles Actually Cost
The War Zone skrev:The full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 led to a sharp increase in military spending in many countries, including Russia. While the Kremlin is generally keen to promote its big-ticket defense programs, above all to help generate lucrative export sales, it’s far less simple to get a handle on how much Russia itself is currently spending on these various weapons.

However, searching through official Russian documents does still provide some fascinating insight into the costs involved, at least for some key defense programs. This is of particular interest for those military aircraft that have been exposed to combat over Ukraine and, in the process, taken significant losses, like the Ka-52 attack helicopter, as well as some of the critical air-launched weapons that are being expended in the same conflict.

[...]

Shortages of key components are only likely to further drive up costs of Russian military aircraft and missiles, as well as introduce further delays. The Vympel company has been identified by the Ukrainian Embassy in the United States as one of “over 20 Russian military enterprises [that] were forced to suspend their activities in whole or in part due to shortage of parts and components, as well as rising prices due to sanctions.”

At the same time, the use of air-launched weapons like the R-77-1 and LMUR in Ukraine, as well as aircraft like the Ka-52, demand that stocks are resupplied and lost airframes replaced. While this should be good news for Russian industry, the costs of these endeavors need to be weighed up against other financial demands of a conflict for which there is no obvious end in sight.

An analysis from Forbes Ukraine last November assessed that the Kremlin had spent around $82 billion in the first nine months of its war, of which nearly $29 billion was to support the armed forces, $16 billion for soldiers’ salaries, and more than $9 billion for the families of servicemen killed in combat. At that point, the same source suggested that Russian military equipment losses had cost another $21 billion.
Antalet visuellt bekräftade ryska förluster uppgår nu till 9 153 enheter, varav 1 713 stridsvagnar. Förr eller senare tar den sovjetiska utrustningen slut:

1. BMP-2(K) (722 förluster)
2. KamAZ 6x6 (661 förluster)
3. Ural-4320 (592 förluster)
4. BTR-82A(M) (403 förluster)
5. MT-LB (360 förluster)
6. BMP-1(P) (283 förluster)
7. T-72B3 (281 förluster)
8. T-72B (234 förluster)
9. BMP-3 (226 förluster)
10. T-80BV (215 förluster)
11. T-72B3 Obr. 2016 (203 förluster)
12. BMD-2 (192 förluster)
13. MT-LBVM(K) (156 förluster)
14. BTR-80 (153 förluster)
15. Ural-4320 tanker (150 förluster)
16. GAZ Tigr-M (124 förluster)
17. Orlan-10 (121 förluster)
18. Ural-43206 (116 förluster)
19. KamAZ 6x6 tanker (112 förluster)
20. BM-21 Grad (101 förluster)
21. 2S3(M) Akatsiya (100 förluster)

Näst på tur står 2S19 Msta-S (99 förluster). Det blir mycket att ersätta för Ryssland! Hur lång tid tar det för Sydkorea att gå om som vapenexportör? :roll:
Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 9:12 Hur pålitligt är Musks privata företag SpaceX, speciellt med tanke på den desinformation som Musk sprider?
FCC approves Amazon’s satellite broadband plan over SpaceX’s objections
Ars Technica skrev:Amazon's satellite launch plans took shape in April 2022 when it announced deals for 83 launches over five years using Arianespace, Blue Origin, and United Launch Alliance. Amazon said the deals would let it deploy most of its 3,236 planned satellites. The company plans to deploy two prototype satellites early in 2023 on the upcoming launch of United Launch Alliance's new Vulcan Centaur rocket.

[...]

Amazon's biggest competitor for low-latency satellite broadband will be SpaceX's Starlink service, but Amazon's launch schedule puts it a few years behind SpaceX. The companies have fought each other in FCC proceedings, with Amazon objecting to SpaceX's satellite plans and SpaceX filing objections to Amazon's.

[...]

Starlink speeds have been dropping as it signs up more users, but it's still a viable option for people without access to cable or fiber. SpaceX President and COO Gwynne Shotwell said yesterday that Starlink had its first "cash-flow positive quarter last year" and that the satellite division "will make money" in 2023, according to CNBC. For residential users, Starlink costs $110 a month plus a one-time hardware cost of $599.
Musks dagar som monopolist inom satellitkommunikation är räknade. Som bekant har Bezos hjälpt den ukrainska staten att fungera under invasionen:
Enceladus skrev: söndag 18 december 2022 14:14 How Amazon put Ukraine’s ‘government in a box’ — and saved its economy from Russia
Mysterious Russian satellites are now breaking apart in low-Earth orbit
Ars Technica skrev:On Christmas Day, 2013, the relatively small Russian Rokot rocket launched from the Plesetsk site in the northern part of the country. The mission carried three small military communications satellites, but observers noted that the mission appeared to eject a fourth object into orbit.

[...]

Brian Weeden, an expert in space debris at the Secure World Foundation who has studied the Object E satellites, said he did not think the debris-shedding events on both Cosmos 2491 and Cosmos 2499 were caused by collisions in orbit. Rather, they appear to be part of a repeating pattern.

"This suggests to me that perhaps these events are the result of a design error in the fuel tanks or other systems that are rupturing after several years in space rather than something like a collision with a piece of debris," Weeden said.
Har Ryssland ens förmågan att vapenisera rymden? Satellitkommunikation är fortfarande till Ukrainas fördel, även om Musk begränsade funktionaliteten. :x
Användarens profilbild
dr Cassandra Nojdh

Enceladus skrev: torsdag 09 februari 2023 23:43 Ukraine’s rocket campaign reliant on U.S. precision targeting, officials say
Washington Post skrev:The senior Ukrainian official described the targeting process, generally: Ukrainian military personnel identify targets they want to hit, and in which location, and that information is then sent up to senior commanders, who then relay the request to U.S. partners for more accurate coordinates. The Americans do not always provide the requested coordinates, the official said, in which case the Ukrainian troops do not fire.

Ukraine could carry out strikes without U.S. help but because Kyiv doesn’t want to waste valuable ammunition and miss, it usually chooses not to strike without U.S. confirmation, the official said, adding that there are no complaints about the process.

[...]

The senior Ukrainian official contended that the Ukrainian military would face the same limitations it does now with conventional HIMARS rounds if they received ATACMS, with Ukraine still dependent on U.S. targeting coordinates.
Amerikansk underrättelseverksamhet har förmodligen spelat en avgörande roll i detta krig. Ryssland skjuter i blindo och slösar därför mycket ammunition.
I vilken utsträckning Ukraina får tillgång till amerikansk underrättelseinformation på taktisk nivå kan ju diskuteras - det skulle nästan krävas realtidskommunikation.

Under alla förhållanden skjuter ryssarna förstås inte "i blindo". Däremot har de mindre behov av precisa målkoordinater eftersom de har få långräckviddiga system som kräver detta. Jag analyserade den saken här: viewtopic.php?p=410062#p410062
Det ryska artilleriet, både raket- och eldrörs verkar mer inriktat på ytverkan (kluster, termobarisk). En sådan taktik kräver förstås mycket ammunition.
Skriv svar